Questions about CSC104

Hi, I am Kelly Yan:) Here are some questions about the course CSC104 in the university of Toronto!

-Why did you choose CSC104? What do you hope to get out of this course?

I chose CSC104 for two reasons. The first one is that although I am interested in computer science, I am worried about my ability to study this well since I had no  background in a programming field. So, I think CSC104 will be the best choice for me. Secondly, I heard some great feedbacks about this course from upper-year students. They said this course is interesting and accessible for new students. I hope that I can learn the basic knowledge about computational thinking, and know how to design programs for solving systematically problems in different fields.

-What did you expect programming to be like, and how does it compare with your experience in the course so far? (If you programmed before, how is programming in this similar, and how is it different?)

Before studying this course, I have no background in programming. To be honest, I expected that programming will be very difficult to start, and I will not understand the contents of lectures at all. I even thought that I will be totally confused about programming, and I will make no sense for the very beginning lesson. Fortunately, compared with my experience in the course so far, I found that this course is not as difficult as I think. If I can follow all the ideas that professors taught, maybe I will be fine in this course.

-What do you find interesting so far?

So far, I find that it is very interesting to use programming to complete something I need to finish step by step as before. If I use computer language, I can finish very complex process only by one step. For example, I can get a red solid square easily by inputting orders in DrRacket.

-What do you find hard so far? Is the course easier or harder than you expected?

So far, I find that it is hard for me to write the intermediate steps by myself. Since DrRacket can help me to complete it by one step, I will be confused for asking me to write down these specific steps in my quizzes. Actually, this course is harder than I expected because other students told me that it is easy to take. However, the beginning of programming is easier than I expected.

-How did you study for the quizzes? Are you satisfied with your performances on them; if not, what do you plan to change?

In order to study for the quizzes, I firstly reviewed all the notes and orders I completed on DrRacket during the regular lectures. After that, I will study for labs that professors submitted before quizzes. Actually, I am not satisfied with my performances on them. During the second quiz, I did not complete the third question because I did not know how to solve that. I plan to change by writing down every steps for labs by myself before inputting orders on DrRacket automatically.

-Are there any specific Computer Science topics you're interested in? 

Personally, I am especially interested in artificial intelligence (AI). This topic is extremely popular all over the world today. I am curious about how AI works and whether it can take place of people's jobs or not.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oct.27th questions

Term test 1 is done!